The 20 most watched Netflix original movies and series
You probably don’t need official confirmation from Netflix to believe a lot of people have watched Bridgerton when it debuted during the 2020 holiday season. Social media was teeming with mentions of the series Shonda Rhimes and its stars; and there’s a good chance it has popped up in some of your own conversations as well.
what do you would have need Netflix to weigh is exactly how Bridgerton compared to other buzzy originals, Strange things To Money theft. And like Variety reports, the streaming giant just did. At Vox Media’s Code conference this week, Netflix chief content officer and co-CEO Ted Sarandos revealed a so far unknown list of the most-watched original series and movies, ranked by total hours of viewing during the first 28 days after the premiere of each program.
For TV, BridgertonThe inaugural season of took the lead with a total 28-day listening time of 625 million hours, 6 million hours ahead of the fourth part of Money theft. Money theft wasn’t the only series with a later season that surpassed the previous ones. Season 3 of Strange things logged 582 million hours, which earned him third place; season 2 came eighth and the first season was not taped at all. 13 reasons why and You also had second seasons that went past their first installments.
On the film side, no other Netflix original has succeeded in overthrowing the thriller directed by Sandra Bullock Bird box (2018), who racked up 282 hours of viewing in his first 28 days. His closest competition was that of 2020 Extraction, starring Chris Hemsworth, who came in second with 231 million hours. On the list of most viewed movies based on the number of Netflix accounts that streamed at least two minutes of the program in the first 28 days, Extraction and Bird boxthe positions of have been reversed.
Check out the full list of movies and shows, along with their impressive number of hours, below.
Netflix Original Series
- Bridgerton (Season 1) // 625 million
- Money theft (Part 4) // 619 million
- Strange things (Season 3) // 582 million
- The witcher (Season 1) // 541 million
- 13 reasons why (Season 2) // 496 million
- 13 reasons why (Season 1) // 476 million
- You (Season 2) // 457 million
- Strange things (Season 2) // 427 million
- Money theft (Part 3) // 426 million
- Ginny and Georgia (Season 1) // 381 million
Netflix Original Movies
- Bird box (2018) // 282 million
- Extraction (2020) // 231 million
- Irish (2019) // 215 million
- The kissing booth 2 (2020) // 209 million
- 6 Underground (2019) // 205 million
- Spenser Confidential (2020) // 197 million
- Enola Holmes (2020) // 190 million
- Army of the dead (2021) // 187 million
- The old guard (2020) // 186 million
- Murder Mystery (2019) // 170 million